Home » Ask the Therapist » I Cannot Tell the Difference Between Things that Are Real and Not Real

I Cannot Tell the Difference Between Things that Are Real and Not Real

From a young woman in the U.S.: I cannot tell the difference between things that are real and not real. My memories seem like a drunken memory (I don’t drink) and one minute I could be fine and the next I can’t tell if what just happened, actually happened. It is like my brain just restarted and I won’t know what happened.

I also feel like I don’t belong in this world or universe. I feel like I am special or that I was just meant for a different universe. It is really weird and I feel crazy. I don’t know what is wrong with me. Please help me.

A.

I wish you had told us whether this is a recent problem. If so, the first thing to do is to see your medical doctor. There are a number of medical issues that can create this type of confusion. It can also be a symptom of a sleep disorder.

If your doctor says you are physically fine — or if this is a long-standing problem — then please see a therapist for a diagnosis and help. Not being able to sort out real and imagined memories could make trouble for you in the future.