Home » Library » Parenting » Sister Is Extremely Irrational and I’m Worried for the State of My Family’s Well-Being

Sister Is Extremely Irrational and I’m Worried for the State of My Family’s Well-Being

I don’t know how to deal with my sister anymore. She’s completely irrational and I’m worried that she might have some underlying mental problems. Whenever she has a problem she completely disregards any rational/reasonable help. If you cannot help her and release her of her problem immediately she will be extremely rude/vile to you. I have tried every approach. At the beginning I was angry, I yelled and yelled. When I realized that that wasn’t working I adopted a calmer approach. I do not yell anymore, but I do have to admit, I am extremely impatient. Every move I make is met with some sort of rude remark, even things as simple as standing behind her to read what she’s writing on the homework assignment that she asked me to help her with. I respond by asking her why she’s talking to me the way that she is, she responds with Ugh I don’t care just be quiet, if you’re not going to help me then leave. I don’t think that she understands how the way she talks to people effects their ability to help her in stressful situations. She doesn’t realize that I’m trying to help her, and that she is actually making it difficult. She also does not learn from her experiences. She has been yelled at, been talked calmly to, and has even been hit on multiple occasions. I don’t think that she realizes that what she does is wrong, because she does the exact same things that she is punished/scrutinized for over and over again. It’s an endless cycle. My mother is a wits end, I see a lot of her in my sister. When confronted with problems relating to my sister she says things like ‘Ugh I don’t want to hear it anymore’ & ‘I’m just trying to relax, leave me alone’. I just want to know how to go about dealing with her as I’m talking to her. I’m so close to just slapping her across the face. I want to know if the source of her problems is just some sort of mental disorder, her calling for attention, or her being bullied at school (because she is subjected to bullying at school).

A:  This issue is bigger than what you can manage on your own. Since she’s been bullied, the school can (and should) be involved. This may be part of the problem. Talk to you guidance counselor at school about what is going on with your sister. They can help you (and her) deal with this