Home » I Don’t Know What to Feel

I Don’t Know What to Feel

I don’t think I have the right to be sad because my life is great compared to most but I don’t feel happy. I have no one to talk to and I feel like my mind is just full with different problems. I don’t go to regular school because I constantly feel like I don’t fit in or my self esteem gets in the way.. I’m confused with what is wrong with me or if there is even anything wrong with me. I have almost no friends and keep alienating myself from others even when I feel sad and lonely after. I have tried to talk to my mom about it but she brushed it off. what do you think?

I Don’t Know What to Feel

A.

Your life might be great in many ways but that doesn’t mean that you “don’t have the right” to be sad. Everyone feels sad from time to time. It might be an indicator that something is wrong or that an adjustment is needed. It’s not something you should ignore.

You mentioned not going to “regular school” for several reasons. That means that some set of issues made it difficult for you to attend “regular school.” In addition, not being in school means that you have less peer involvement and thus may be prone to loneliness. Teenagers generally like to be with their peers and it can be helpful and supportive to have a peer group with whom you interact. That is missing from your life.

These are the types of problems that are commonly dealt with in counseling. It’s normal and healthy to want to be around people; it’s concerning when your preference is to isolate.

Speaking to your mother wasn’t helpful but give her another chance. Ask her if she’d be willing to take you to counseling. The counselor will know how to help make the necessary adjustments to improve your mood.

If your mother is still not taking you seriously, show her this letter. It might help her to understand what you are going through. Thank you for your question. Please take care.

I Don’t Know What to Feel