Home » Library » My Son Has Been Diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder

My Son Has Been Diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder

My son has been diagnosed with anxiety disorder. I’ve noticed he rubs/feels the seam of his jeans and the seam of his t-shirts. When I asked him about this, he says he does this because it calms him down and it became a force of habit.W hat are your thoughts on this?

Also, he says he wants to stop because he is getting bullied for this at his school. Is there any tips for this to help him stop?

A:¬† Thank you for your question. The person who diagnosed his is in a very good position to recommend someone to help. Typically the recommendation for treatment of anxiety disorders in children is cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) so you’ll want to find a therapist with specific training and expertise in using CBT with children. If you are near a university you may want to reach out to their clinical staff in the counsel department as well as they may have additional referrals. You can also use the ‘find help’ tab at the top of this page.

On the good news side is the fact your son has been diagnosed and can get treatment at an early age. Make sure the therapist you are consulting has experience with children with anxiety disorders as this can often help get results sooner.