I started therapy almost 9 months ago because I had anxiety problems and knew that I had underlying issues that may be causing it. My anxiety actually got a lot better, however, a few months ago I got extremely depressed, to the point where I very specifically planned out my suicide. Although I feel a lot better now, I still have a fairly low mood, low energy and I gained quite a bit of weight. I wonder if I am ever going to get better, or if this depressive episode has damaged my brain in a way that can’t be repaired. I feel like therapy isn’t helping with this at all – thinking through things can’t really elevate my mood, it actually often makes everything worse.

What should I consider before stopping therapy? I like my therapist and as I mentioned he did help me with my anxiety, and after all these months he kind of ‘gets me’. I also don’t know how to bring up that I am thinking about stopping. I know he wouldn’t have a problem with it but for some reason it seems strange to cut him out of my life (although he never actually was in it). I am very tempted to just cancel my next appointment over the phone and not come back, but I know that’s probably not so wise.

I have a lot of things to be grateful for: a husband who I am happily married to, a career path I feel very passionate about and great friends. This makes it all the more frustrating and I am mad at myself for not feeling better.

Thank you for taking the time to reading this! Any advice would be very helpful.

A: There are many possibilities why this may be happening. Talking to your therapist is the best way to start moving through this. You owe it to yourself to explain why you want to leave. If he doesn’t know what you are thinking and feeling, how can he help? Talk to him about what is going on. A phone call termination isn’t your best choice.