Home » Parenting » I Don’t Know How to Talk to My Parents about My Concerns

I Don’t Know How to Talk to My Parents about My Concerns

Recently, I have been having some problems. I’ve been seeing things and hearing things that my people around me can’t, I have a hard time remembering moments and even little things like & what I ate for breakfast this morning or what grade I got on my math test and I’ve noticed that I just can’t bring myself to do everyday tasks. I’ve been having a lot of thoughts that come from a voice that doesn’t sound like me. This, as you can imagine, has given me some concerns for my mental-well-being. My biggest problem, however, is that I don’t know how to talk to my parents about my concerns. I feel as though my dad would just laugh at me, and say you are a moron which is what he usually does when I ask him for help on other things. I just don’t know who to talk to, or how to see a professional if I can’t even ask my dad.

A.

Give your parents a chance to help you. You’re making assumptions about how they would react. Maybe you are right, but maybe you’re wrong. It’s worth a try. Honesty is the best policy. Tell them the truth and see what they say.

If you try and it doesn’t work, then your next step is to contact the guidance counselor or another trusted faculty member at school. Tell them what’s happening and how you’re feeling. They will know how to help you and it is their job to do so. They may be able to speak to your parents about these issues and convince them to take you to a therapist.

Hopefully, the aforementioned ideas will help you in moving forward. In the meantime, try engaging in stress relief activities such as journaling and being with supportive friends. The more you can surround yourself with positive and supportive people, the better you will feel. Journaling and being with supportive friends are not replacements for treatment but they will help you to feel better. Ideally, counseling would provide the most benefit and relief. Please write again if you have additional questions.