Home » Disorders » Bipolar Disorder » Is My Sister Bipolar or What?

Is My Sister Bipolar or What?

From a teen in Indonesia: Hello, I’ve been struggling to find out what’s happening to my sis, she’s 20 turning 21 this year..
She always have this weird kinda act, for example like, she’s sulking because of one problem and then she became quiet and didn’t talk to anyone for 1/2 days then later she starts laughing and then crying, I don’t know what to do because she didn’t want to open up and slowly she makes me mad too because she kept laughing, scoffing Idk maybe she’s angry at me or what == I tried to tell my mom that maybe we need to go to psychiatrist but she just shrugged it off and said its not a big deal but then it startes to makes me feel depressed ughh so yeahh
Thankyou~~

Is My Sister Bipolar or What?

A.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I don’t have enough information to give you a clear answer. What I can tell you is that there are many, many reasons a 20-year-old can be moody. It doesn’t necessarily indicate a mental illness. It may mean that there are stressors in her life that she isn’t handling well. She may have an undiagnosed medical problem. It may have something to do with her feeling like it’s time for her to move out and move on with life but perhaps she doesn’t have the resources or support to do so. It could be that there is a problem with a relationship. And, of course, it is possible that she is showing signs of emerging mental health problems.

The best way to find out is to ask her with as much gentleness and support as you can — even if she is making you angry. Being angry with her won’t help. Being compassionate and offering your help might.

Is My Sister Bipolar or What?