Home » Relationships » Sexuality » Is It Normal for a Young Child to Hurt Herself Sexually?

Is It Normal for a Young Child to Hurt Herself Sexually?

From a teen in the U.S.: When I was around 5-7 years old I would try and hurt myself sexually. I would put tape on my vaginal area and pull it off. I would also pinch and scratch the area until I bled. I remember feeling discomfort. I’m wondering if this was normal behavior? If not, what could this be? Should I bring this up to my psychologist?

A.

The short answer is “no”, this isn’t normal. By all means bring it up with your psychologist since you are seeing one. Often, but not always, kids who do such things are acting out something that was done to them. But sometimes a kid is trying to get relief from something like pin worms. Your therapist can help you sort out why you were hurting yourself this way.