Home » I Lost My Medication. What do I do?

I Lost My Medication. What do I do?

From a teen in the U.S.: I’ve lost my Seroquel XR (150), Topamax (75), And Effexor (150). I have twenty five days left in my new prescription. I recently had a bit of a melt down, I’ve been feeling very horrible lately and I put all my pills in one bag during my break down. Now, it’s completely gone. I’ve torn my room apart and can only find 3 Seroquel. I have no idea what to do!

I Lost My Medication. What do I do?

A.

I understand you are upset. I get it that you worry that your doctor will think you are stock-piling the medicine. But part of a good therapeutic relationship is developing trust. Call your doctor for an appointment and be honest about what happened. My guess is that he or she will respond by giving you a limited number of each type of med at a time until the month is out. Then you’ll start with a whole new prescription.

You are a vital part of your treatment team. Learning to take responsibility for making sure you take care of your medication regimen is an important piece of your part in your healing. Get yourself a pill minder — a container that has compartments for each day of the week — and use it. It will help you organize your meds and will help you keep track of them. Designate a particular place for your medication bottles and get in the habit of always putting them away after filling the pill minder for the week.

Please talk to your doctor — now. Tell her/him what steps you’ve taken so this won’t happen again. I’m betting you can two can work it out.

I Lost My Medication. What do I do?