Home » How Do I Get Help?

How Do I Get Help?

From a teen in the U.S.: I am unsure of how to get/ask for the help that I feel I need. I’ve been having suicidal thoughts and I can’t seem to stop having emotional breakdowns as of recently. I want to ask my mom for help but for some reason I can’t work up the courage to tell her or anyone else. What should I do in this type of situation?

How Do I Get Help?

A.

I’m so sorry you are feeling so depressed and helpless. Why not just show your mom your letter and this response?

The teen years are extremely difficult for many kids. There is no shame in being scared and emotionally vulnerable. A mental health counselor can help you sort out your feelings and can give you support and practical help for managing the many challenges you are facing.

If you feel you can’t talk to your mom, please consider having a talk with your school counselor or a teacher you trust. Your school may have a program for supporting kids like yourself or may be able to refer you to a counselor who specialize in teen issues.

How Do I Get Help?