Home » Fall Asleep Reading; Continue the Story in My Dreams

Fall Asleep Reading; Continue the Story in My Dreams

I have always been a reader, and I often read in bed before sleep. As an adult, I occasionally fall asleep during this nightly ritual. But for the last 10 – 15 years, since I turned 50, a new twist has developed in this ritual, and I find it somewhat disturbing.

Once asleep, the story continues in my ‘dreams’ and I remember these ‘dream chapters’ as part of the book I was reading when I fell asleep. The next evening, I search the book to find the point at which I previously fell asleep, only to discover that the most recent ‘dream chapter’ is not in the book. I eventually find the point at which I must have fallen asleep and continue my reading from there.

My ‘dream chapters’ do not seem far fetched. They adhere fairly well with the background story without any apparent sensationalism. Once I resume reading the book, I complete forget the ‘dream chapters.’

I have not tried to document the ‘dream chapters’ somewhat due to laziness, but also out of a concern that such documentation may reinforce this issue.

Obviously, I have a couple of questions. Is this situation peculiar to me or a condition others share? Is it abnormal, i.e., should I be concerned about my mental health? Should I try to document some of these episodes?

All recommendations welcomed. Thank you in advance if you choose to answer this query!

A.

This is not a mental health issue that I am aware of. I think you may simply be priming the creative pump and then going to sleep. I would use a brief guided meditation (10-20 min) to clear your mind and be ready for sleep.