Home » Disorders » Schizophrenia » Am I Psychotic?

Am I Psychotic?

I have been having violent images and urges to commit violent things like school shootings, murders, tortures. I am very worried but I have been having them since I was a young child. Am I psychotic? I also was very depressed and suicidal (tried to get hit by a car) as a child if that has any value.

A. Psychotic means that an individual has lost touch with reality. They don’t know the difference between what is real and what is not real. I simply don’t have enough information to know if you are psychotic.

It is concerning that you are having these types of experiences. It would suggest that something is wrong and that you are suffering. If you have not spoken to your parents about this matter, I would encourage you to do so. Ask them to take you to a mental health professional for treatment.

If there are more immediate concerns, such as attempting to harm yourself or others, call 911, the local mental health crisis team or go directly to the emergency room. They can protect you and will ensure that you receive the appropriate treatment. Please write again if you have additional questions. I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.

Am I Psychotic?