Home » I’ve Started to Realize…

I’ve Started to Realize…

Today, I realized that talking about my problems provides me no relief. Instead, talking just amplifies my negative feelings, but keeping my mouth shut about everything certainly isn’t a solution either. I haven’t officially seen my therapist in a little over a week. I just don’t know what to do because I’m getting increasingly depressed by the minute and every second that goes by makes me want to slice my wrist open. I feel overwhelmed, and I hate everyone. (From the USA)

I’ve Started to Realize…

A.

The work right now is to break the cycle of repetitive thoughts about the past and present. Ruminating about what’s wrong and not working tends to make things worse — not better — and finding ways to interrupt these thoughts is a place to start. Learning how to counteract them is something you can train your mind to do.

I recommend the book The Resilience Factor to start learning how to challenge your thoughts, and to begin using our forums for right now to gain some support. When you do see your therapist let him or her know that you need some tools other than talking about the problems that can help you.

I’ve Started to Realize…