Home » Library » Am I Going Crazy?

Am I Going Crazy?

From a teen in the U.S.: So I recently just started so see a new psychologist who was quite terrible as mine has gone on a long holiday. I have anxiety depression and from what I thought depersonalisation. It is always with me since I was about 15 and has gotten worse as I have gotten older. The world just seems a bit unreal to me but nothing looks out of shape.

She seemed very curious about this and said that maybe it is early onset scitzophrenia. Me having anxiety have not stopped thinking about this issue since she has told me. It is always with me 24/7 and I find it really hard to explain to someone. I don’t hear voices or any of that other stuff, but this has really freaked me. Should I be worried? Is this something that does happen to people in the early days of their scizophrenia onset?

A: Please take a deep breath and calm down. A therapist who doesn’t know you ventured an idea. It’s only an idea. The person you should be talking to about it is your regular therapist who knows you well enough to make an informed opinion. If your regular therapist won’t be available for a time, you do have several choices: You can wait until your therapist comes back to continue your therapy. You can talk to the new psychologist about what led her to her idea. Or you can seek out a different therapist to support you until your therapist returns.

Do remember: Therapy is a collaborative process. You don’t have to accept everything any therapist says. It is just wise to think seriously about what is said and to participate in teasing out what is true and what is not.

Am I Going Crazy?

Dr. Marie Hartwell-WalkerDr. Marie is licensed as both a psychologist and marriage and family counselor. She specializes in couples and family therapy and parent education. Follow her on Facebook or Twitter.