Home » Disorders » Depression » Severe Depression

Severe Depression

Depression getting worse by the day. It never ends, has been going on for years. Therapy and meds no help. Depression made worse by my 21 year old son. Never finished school, got fired from a decent job and basically does nothing to improve his life or become independent. I’m sick of hearing “it’s his life” since he lives with us and can’t live on his own.He’s a nice kid, but he just lives in a fantasy world gaming all night. He’s seen therapists all his life because he was diagnosed as Aspergers , they have not helped him at all. I get comments like, “at least he’s not on drugs”. Useless.

Severe Depression

A.

Thank you for reaching out. I would highly recommend that you explore finding a different therapist. I understand that you have been on medication and in therapy over the years; however, often this process can be one of trial and error. I would recommend trying out a few different therapists, particularly someone who specializes in both individual and family work. While many of the issues you describe are relevant to your son, working with someone to focus on your issues and your reaction to your son will help you change the current dynamic. Start with the focus on you and how you can change the dynamic with your son and go from there.

Severe Depression

Dr. Mimi Shagaga