Home » I See It Normal to Imagine Hurting/Killing People

I See It Normal to Imagine Hurting/Killing People

I keep imagining hurting strangers I walk past in the halls of my school. I don’t even know them, but I get these vivid mental images of slamming thier heads into the wall or kicking them. I’m not even physically capable of things like this. I’m generally a really gentle person, and lately I’ve been overly emotional, for no reason(sad/angry)? The idea of smashing peoples heads in excites me (if that’s important) but I know that wrong and that I get excited scares me. (From Canada)

A.

The fact that you are noticing what you are thinking and feeling and are disturbed by it is a good thing, as it is an opportunity for you to gain some self control and perspective.

Writing us here is a good start — and I would strongly consider that you find a counselor to talk to. Do this sooner rather than later. The fact that you do not want to do these things is important. If you can talk to your parents about wanting to speak to someone please do that. But if not, talk to your school counselor and let he or she know that you are not sure what is going on, but that you would like to talk to someone about these feelings. They are trained to help and will make sure you get what you need.

Don’t wait on this. There is help for symptoms like these and people ready to assist.