Hi, i’m 28 years old and approximately 4 months ago changed jobs.

In my new job I have day shifts and night shifts, I have more responsibilities than my old job and my boss is really rude to people, especially me because im new.

The day before starting a new shift, day or night, i have a lot of trouble sleeping, usually I manage to sleep 3 hours at best. First I thought it was normal work stress but yesterday i woke up at 3 am covered in sweat, apparently I’ve had a bad dream about work. The night was somewhat cold and i didn’t have any blankets on.
This made me worry, i don’t know how to deal with this type of preocupation, i haven’t talked to anyone about this issue, but coworkers tell me that the company is very stressfull an i will learn how to cope with this stress.

I don’t want to waste the opportunity of working in this company, but i worry that it may be harmful to my mental health. I dont know what to do.

A. I do not have enough information to know if you are overreacting or not. The fact that your coworkers find the job stressful might suggest that you are not. It’s also possible that you have underdeveloped coping skills which might explain your reaction.

Quitting your job because you can’t handle the anxiety might only serve to make your anxiety worse. Anxiety that is reinforced typically worsens. As unpleasant as it may be, learning how to endure anxiety will often stop it from worsening and may greatly help to reduce the stress that you feel. Alternatively, it would not be in your best interest to continue working in a job that was stressful and detrimental to your mental health.

If you can find a similar job that is less stressful, it would be a better choice than would be a more stressful and thus more difficult job. You might try speaking with your supervisor. Perhaps they are unaware of how stressful the job can be and could make changes. It might help to ease some of the tension and anxiety.

In order to understand the true nature of the problem, you need an objective assessment. You could get that by consulting a therapist. A therapist will gather information and advise you accordingly.

Generally speaking, anxiety and fear should not be driving factors in your life and you should also not work at a job that makes your life miserable. Beyond those basic guidelines, I cannot provide a definitive answer about how to proceed. Counseling would assist you in making the correct decision. Please take care.