Home » I Feel as if I Can’t Control My Emotions

I Feel as if I Can’t Control My Emotions

From a teen in the U.S.: I feel as if I cant controle my emotions, I often get paniced and scared of thoughts and ideas that wont happen. In the past couple of years I have off and on had trouble with social anxiety and general anxiety. I suffered from panic attacks when I was in situations where I don’t know people and am in a new environment.

Lately I haven’t had many problems with social anxiety manly because I haven’t bean in new environments, however I have started to feel more panicked and anxious at home.

I have always had trouble in the dark and at night but even more than usual I have been scared of what is very unlikely to happen in areas though out my life. I get scared, when I hear about death my mind automatically starts thinking of scenarios where the person dying is a family member or friend and I get very scared and emotional. I sometimes get scared and start to panic and loose control over my emotions, over ideas ranging from animals outside my house at night or the idea that someone will crash through my window and hurt my when I’m sleeping.

I feel more than just scared, I get panicked and I feel hot and breathing becomes harder. I don’t want to define it as a panic attack because I feel like I don’t ever have enough knowledge to define how I feel. In the day time I have started to feel more and more exhausted like my momentum and push to get up and do activity’s is going down quickly. I have chest pains frequently like a sharp tightness in the left side of my chest, I’ve assumed it was associated with stress. I don’t know what the things I feel mean.

My mother tells me that it is just because I am stressed out and that hormones have a role but I feel like I know when its just stress and this feels like so much more. It feels like its getting worse and worse. My emotions feel out of control even just thinking of how I feel makes me start crying, I constantly cry and I feel like Its harder to control my anger. I just feel like I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I want to know what you think?

A.

What I think is that you need some help. I do understand why your mother thinks it is only hormones. Often teenagers have roller coaster emotions. But this seems more complicated than that. For that reason, I urge you to make an appointment with your medical doctor for a complete physical exam. There are a number of possibilities (like perhaps a vitamin deficiency) that can cause at least some of your symptoms.

Before you see the doctor, do keep a sleep and nutrition diary for 2 weeks. Every day, write down how many hours of sleep you had the night before and what you had to eat that day. That will give your doctor very, very valuable information that could help her determine a correct diagnosis.

Make an appointment with a mental health counselor, too. You may not have developed the coping skills you need to manage anxiety and a potential panic disorder. Working with a therapist will help you manage or eliminate your fears and will help you grow more confident.

I’m glad you wrote to us. You don’t need to spend your teen years feeling so awful. Get the help you need so you can enjoy life.