Home » Disorders » Autism » I Suspect that My Son Has Asperger’s – Should I Try to Get Him Diagnosed?

I Suspect that My Son Has Asperger’s – Should I Try to Get Him Diagnosed?

My son is 14. He is a great kid and is an A-student in school, but has for a long while shown signs of Asperger. Should I try to have him diagnosed to find out. His symptoms are above all a need to “run” (it is a kind of fast pacing that he does in his room or outside) and a very large need to be a alone a lot and not socialize. Also he finds all criticism and people disagreeing very difficult and has always been very sensitive about how clothes feel. He hardly ever brings friends home, but functions well with friends at school. What I am worried about is his social life as he gets older. His ability to function with a girlfriend or boyfriend and at work. And his “running” sometimes makes things difficult for him. He almost never wants to talk about how things are or how he feels. It is always only facts. He takes after his dad on a lot of things and I am wondering if a diagnosis would help prepare him for life, or make it more difficult. Would it be good to
have a word for his differentness, or better just to let it be? Best Regards / teenage mother.

A. If you’re worried about your son, then it would be wise to consult a professional. They would be in the best position to help. They will conduct a thorough psychosocial evaluation and determine if a diagnosis is warranted. That’s a better strategy than “just letting it be.” You need to know the truth so that you can take the appropriate action.

You might try asking his pediatrician for a referral to a specialist in autistic spectrum disorders. You can also call the one 800 number on the back of your insurance card. Also, there are many resources on the Internet that can help you to find a specialist in your community. The “find help” tab, at the top of this page, is a good place to begin your search. I hope this helps. Please take care.