Home » Others Think Me Wanting to Be Alone Is Weird

Others Think Me Wanting to Be Alone Is Weird

Just as a background I grew up in a normal household with no issues. In the transition between high school and middle school I started enjoying books, arts, sciences, etc more than my friends. Interests changed. I would also like to point out that Ive never been in a relationship nor have been sexually active.

So here I am at 29; still enjoy the arts, sciences, etc. I do have a small group of friends, which I intend to keep that way. I dont have any social media accounts, but I do play video games and have quite a bit since I was young. I have confided in them about life issues, asking for advice on things and have given the same in return whether in person or over texts/calls. Im a quiet and reserved girl who enjoys observing others. I have turned down requests to go out to bars, concerts, and other activities due to the fact that I just want to have my time.

Well one day one of my friends said it’s unnatural to want to be alone so much. Im not depressed – far from it; I dont feel anxiety when I speak to people or in front of a group and I do engage in discussions if I feel what I have to say adds to the conversation. If I get asked personal questions I get a bit suspicious depending on the context and how long Ive known the person. Im not looking to avoid contact; Im more than happy to just leave it be and let it come to me. I have no trouble going out if it severely peaks my interest or if absolutely necessary to complete a task. I am nothing but satisfied with how my life is going.

With my job I spend hours answering phone calls, emails, instructing users on systems and repairing tech both in person and remotely. Even though I do enjoy the conversations I have with friends I feel more drained at the end of a work shift and would prefer to spend my time and my days off relaxing on my own terms. Is this truly something that I should be concerned about? (From the USA)

A.

I think there are two sides to the answer here. It sounds at once that you are content and happy with your life as it is — and this is exactly one of the points that is made by author Susan Cain in her book: Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking. On the other side of the coin is, perhaps, a lack of intimacy. Not having an intimate relationship at 29 is not typical, and perhaps closer to what your friend was concerned about.