Home » Disorders » Bipolar Disorder » Dad Is Manic?

Dad Is Manic?

I am a psychology graduate student and I have recently noticed a huge change in my dad’s behavior. There is an increase in self-confidence, increase in energy, lack of sleep, no sense of appropriate social behavior, constant shouting and screaming and getting irritated all the time.

Now this can be due to age but I have a feeling that it might be something more. This change in behavior happened suddenly about 2 months ago and as the days go by, he’s acting more and more like a child. I’ve done some research and I feel as if though he may be going through a manic episode but I don’t know how to convince him to get checked.

Is this behavior normal for men of 60 years old? Do you think I am over-thinking? What should I do to help my father out, I don’t want things to get worse than they are? (From the USA)

Dad Is Manic?

A.

No, this isn’t something comes with turning 60. Let your dad know that you care about him and that he hasn’t seemed himself. Let him know that it worries you that he is so irritated all the time and it is causing you to be upset. Explain that you would like him to just get a regular check up and offer to go with him. You may have to ask more than once, but tell him that you notice this difference in him, care for him, and that it is difficult for you to watch. This should get him in front of a physician who can then help figure out what is wrong.

Dad Is Manic?