Home » Anxiety » Lepidopterophobia Is Limiting My Life

Lepidopterophobia Is Limiting My Life

From India: I have a severe phobia of moths and butterflies. I am usually able to avoid all exposure to them; but it is affecting my life right now in the month of October, as they are everywhere. It has got me to the point of depression and suicidal thoughts, as I am an outdoor person and am currently unable to leave the house. I have been at home since the past 3 days, for the fear of encountering one in the lobby of my building. Please help; and do not ever suggest shock exposure as I would rather die.

Lepidopterophobia Is Limiting My Life

A.

I won’t suggest shock exposure. It isn’t necessary and probably wouldn’t help. What you need is some cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) to help you manage the phobia. CBT is talk therapy. You need a therapist who can help you slowly, gradually learn to master your fear and deal with your intense emotions about moths and butterflies. The will probably involve some “exposure therapy”.

Phobias usually start out because of something frightening that happened in childhood. It usually begins as a reasonable fear response. For example, people who have a phobia about dogs have often been bitten by a dog when they were small. As long as they can avoid dogs, they are okay. But seeing dogs or being near dogs triggers the old fear.

A fear can grow into a phobia where it takes over and limits a person’s life. That what has happened to you. It is nothing to be ashamed of. It can be fixed.

I hope you will take care of yourself and get the practical help and support you need.

Lepidopterophobia Is Limiting My Life