Home » Disorders » Schizophrenia » Can Psychologists Diagnose Patients with Schizophrenia, Autism, Anxiety or Other Mental Disorders?

Can Psychologists Diagnose Patients with Schizophrenia, Autism, Anxiety or Other Mental Disorders?

I am a university student currently studying law and I don’t like it but cause my dad is paying for it I must graduate. Psychology has always been my passion but never pursue it because I really didn’t know what I wanted to study. I would like to study something that would allow myself to diagnose people, study them. Understanding why they act that way and what causes it, I find mental diseases interesting. I would like to analyze people with mental illness and be able to say, “okay patient “x” is schizophrenic for example.
Not prescribe medication just diagnosing or being able to know they have that disease. I don’t think I could be a psychiatrist because you must go to medical school first as I don’t like sewing wound or blood or morgues. So, help me out, what degree/career could I study. (From Ecuador)

A.

The most important thing is for you to honor yourself in this process. I would encourage you to take some psychology courses to make sure they are what you think they are. To become a psychologist will take as long — if not longer — than becoming a lawyer. I would get information from psychology teachers at your university. This along with taking courses will give you the experience and information you need to make a good decision.