Home » Why Do Others Share Their Problems with Me?

Why Do Others Share Their Problems with Me?

From a 24 year old in South Africa: i need to know why people I meet like sharing their personal problems with me

A.

You didn’t give me much to go on. All I can guess is that there is something about your personality and maybe even your appearance that radiates compassion and acceptance. You may also have special talents as a listener. Many people who become therapists say that people have often sought them out for advice and support from the time they were quite young.

If it is a burden to you, I suggest you develop some graceful and kind sentences to get you out of the conversation. Say something like, “I’m so sorry you are having difficulties but I’m really not trained to help you. I suggest you find a therapist who can give you the support you deserve.”