Home » Library » How Do You Call a Person Who Exaggerates Pain to Blame You?

How Do You Call a Person Who Exaggerates Pain to Blame You?

Hello. My husband exaggerates pain that “I have inflicted” on him.
Let’s say he slightly bumps his toe against my foot under the table. He will start screaming: “oh you broke my toe” or “are you trying to break my toe????” and then he expects me to apologize like if I have committed a crime.
It is extremely frustrating and I want to know if there is some kind of term or diagnosis for such behavior?

Thank you. (From Italy)

A:  The term is emotional abuse. This is little more that a variation on emotional abuse. Speak up. Let him know this isn’t okay, and that he is doing it in a way that is childish and demeaning to you. If he doesn’t make a self-correction, I would ask him to go with you to couples therapy. If he doesn’t choose to go, I’d encourage you to seek individual therapy to get support.