Home » Disorders » Schizophrenia » Is It Schizophrenia or Anxiety?

Is It Schizophrenia or Anxiety?

Hi, for a while now since my mother’s death i’ve been suffering with health anxiety and i now began suspecting myself to have a schizophrenia. I have also been called neurotic which made more sense to me when i looked it up even though this term is not used much anymore

So for a while now I’ve been experiencing a lot of hypochondrical fears of all kinds. This started happening after my mom passed away form cancer. I have always been a hypochondriac and OCD, but now it has hit a new high peak.

I’ve come up and went to the doctor over so many things. I get obsessed and scared over a certain disease, not out of nowhere, but also not really based on definitive but mostly on minor symptoms. I.e. i’ve had bad coughs and chest pain and i thought I may have TB, done some research and it turned out that i’m in the risk zone. I developed muscle twitches and thought it may be ALS. and it is hard for me to be convinced that I have nothing but it is not impossible. Meaning that i am aware that i am most likely fine, but some symptoms are there and i just don’t want to risk.

Research doesn’t always help and for example reading that the disease is really rare, would still not convince me because if there is a chance, then it’s there. Going to the doctor may or may not help. If an actual test is run and I’m proven to be good, then I don’t worry no more, but if the doctor says “you’re probably fine” just based on evaluation or observation then I still have some doubt.

I never experienced hallucinations when i;m sober and awake, but i do occasionally see and hear things when i transition in and out of sleep. Like one time when i was half awake i saw room flashing blue (could be dream, phone or real hallucination, not sure) and today i’ve had something like a tv in my head when i was half-awake, but still kinda sleeping, i was aware that its not real and probably a dream.

So i wanted to ask, would hypochondriac fears be considered a delusion if i am aware of the low risk, but still worried and would things i see when transitioning in-out of sleep be considered hallucinations?

Thanks (From the USA)

Is It Schizophrenia or Anxiety?

A.

I appreciate the courage it takes to ask these questions and will strongly recommend you get a thorough medical evaluation — top to bottom. The best person for this is a neurologist. He or she will be able to review everything that is happening, offer some definitive test, and render an opinion of what needs to be done.

Is It Schizophrenia or Anxiety?