Home » Requirement to Report Past Abuse

Requirement to Report Past Abuse

I have a 21 year old son and 18 year old daughter. My son recently confessed to us that he inappropriately touched his sister while she slept on more than one occasion when he was about 11 years old. He says it happened a few times and he stopped. He also suffers from depression and feels tremendous guilt for what he did   He needs some help, but he is afraid that he will be reported and could go to jail for what he did and/or be labeled a sex offender. We live in Texas, are therapists required to report things like this that happened in the past? My daughter says she didn’t know this even happened but is also now upset about this and should talk to someone, but also has same fear

Requirement to Report Past Abuse

A.

As this is something that happened ten years ago, I think your son is very brave to have brought this forward. I understand the hesitation by both your son and daughter, and encourage both of them speak anonymously and separately to the Texas Psychological Association and understand directly from them what the obligations of psychologists are in that state.

Requirement to Report Past Abuse