Home » Why Didn’t My Therapist Offer a Treatment Plan?

Why Didn’t My Therapist Offer a Treatment Plan?

From the U.S.: The more I read about therapy, the more odd and concerning I find it that my therapist and I have not created a treatment plan. It’s been 6 months of almost weekly sessions. We have not discussed progress — either where things are at or how to measure it. And she has never checked in with me on how I feel about therapy or the relationship. Is this unusual or not? And how should I bring it up with my therapist? I don’t want to appear like I’m telling her how to do her job.

A.

There are many different approaches to therapy. Your therapist may not have been trained to offer a formal treatment plan. That being said, I do hope the two of you set goals for your treatment, even if they weren’t formally written down. You do have the right to ask her how she is measuring your progress and what she sees as the best way to help you meet your goals.

Please don’t be concerned about asking reasonable questions. Therapy is a collaborative process. To be successful, you need to trust your therapist enough to ask questions and to engage in discussions about goals and how it is going. If you are anxious about having such a discussion, that anxiety needs to be addressed right away. Otherwise it will get in the way of your treatment.