Home » My Friend Sometimes Writes Random Sentences/Words in the Middle of a Chat

My Friend Sometimes Writes Random Sentences/Words in the Middle of a Chat

Basically all said in summary, we’ve been talking a lot  for over a year, but last couple of months he would just write something in the middle of normal conversation that is completely incomprehensible or out of character, i asked him about it and he just turned it into a joke but it was the worst cover up ever. i don’t think he does it on purpose. Is that a symptom of something like writing version of Tourette’s? (From Moscow)

A.

Tourette’s syndrome (TS) is typically classified as a neurological disorder characterized by repetitive, stereotyped, involuntary movements, which may be accompanied by vocalizations called tics, not written expressions. The closest thing to what you are describing is something known as primary progressive aphasia (PPA). This is something that can cause unusual sentences in writing like you have described.

However, there may be a technological answer. Apple’s QuickType keyboard anticipates the next word and speech programs, like Siri, can make errors that create unusual or confusing sentences if the intended word is misheard by the program.