Home » Ask the Therapist » Am I a Psychopath?

Am I a Psychopath?

Basically, I think I may be psychopathic or have more tendencies than is considered normal. I’m mostly posting this out of curiosity as I’d like to know more if possible, though I’m not really expecting a reply.

I’ve noticed that I tend to react to certain things in a way that is expected, not because I actually feel this way. Mostly it is when it comes to empathizing with people. I’ve experienced deaths in the family and I haven’t felt anything, maybe a slight annoyance as awful as it sounds, because of the things that I’m expected to do after. I’ve had a friend tell me they were raped, but I didn’t feel anything when she told me. It could have been shock but I don’t think it was. The only times I’ve really felt sorry for people or similar is in books/movies/games and sometimes people very close to me if I think things over and take the time to really look into it.

I’ve been told I can come across cold and disdainful of most people, especially those I don’t know. I don’t hurt animals which apparently is a common trait in psychopaths, I lie easily and often though and I do use people if I want to or I need something.

I’d like to know someone else opinion on this but I don’t want to see a counsellor or psychiatrist just yet. If anyone is able to reply I would appreciate it.

Thanks. (From New Zealand)

Am I a Psychopath?

A.

The way to understand this is to realize that your concern is enough to have a one-time meeting with a therapist. You obviously are anxious about your reactions and, rather than try to label it one way or another, it may simply be best to talk about the concern.

You’ve taken a good first step here, and I would encourage you to take the next step and discuss this with someone. It can only help.

Am I a Psychopath?