Home » Is This Self-Harm?

Is This Self-Harm?

From a teen in New Zealand: Hey I’ve had this habit of using my braces to cut my lips. I was wondering if this is considered self harm? or just a habit. I usually do it subconsciously and don’t realize until I taste blood in my mouth.

Is This Self-Harm?

A.

Regardless of what you call it, you are hurting yourself. Habits are just that — habits. Habits can be broken. There are many good websites where you can get advice. Just do a search for “breaking a habit”. Start there. If you follow the suggestions and still can’t stop, I suggest you see a therapist for a few sessions to give you more coaching and support. The therapist will also be able to help you determine if there is more to this than simply a bad habit.

Is This Self-Harm?