Home » Step Children/Narcissist Bio Mother

Step Children/Narcissist Bio Mother

My Step-children live with their mother who is without any doubt has narcissistic PD. How can my husband, their father, help counter the negative outcomes of being raised in an unhealthy environment. We have finally gotten her to agree to counseling, but I want to do as much as we can to help support them and/or counter some of the emotional toxicity they experience. Due to her constantly suing us for more child support, we don’t have the funds to sue her for custody. Additionally, Illinois is not a very progressive state and the family laws are not equitable, favoring mom in many cases. I look forward to your thoughts. (From the USA)

Step Children/Narcissist Bio Mother

A.

Dealing with an ex-spouse with a personality disorder can be very challenging. I’d recommend being consistently supportive and available to listen to your stepchildren. What typically happens over time is that the children will recognize the same issues as you. They will need to have a safe place to talk about developing coping strategies, and making their own adjustments. Since I don’t know the ages of the children I can’t comment on specific strategies. However the therapist who will be involved in the counseling should be able to make specific recommendations for coping.

Step Children/Narcissist Bio Mother