Home » OCD » Fear of the Sun?

Fear of the Sun?

In the last year or so my psychological development has been very unusual (though it always was). I’ve started developing a massive distaste for sun. My eyes have become incredibly sensitive to light, so much so that even with sunglasses on I can barely keep my eyes open at times if the sun is too bright. My head starts hurting and I feel lightheaded and weak. I start feeling as if I’m losing my breath. But the psychological effects are even worse. I feel so vulnerable and exposed whenever I’m in the sun. It’s like I’m underneath this huge spotlight that I can’t run away from, so I get panicked when there’s no shade near by. The air becomes thick and I feel like I’m trapped and suffocating.

So I find myself now spending days upon days trapped in my room with my windows completely covered; I feel the safest when no sun ray can go through. I basically have no social life and I feel embarrassed whenever I’m with someone in the sun because they see how agitated and paranoid I suddenly get, though I try to control it. Summertime¬† has become an absolute nightmare. (From Serbia)

Fear of the Sun?

A.

There are many reasons sensitivity to the sun can be effecting you, and I would highly recommend a complete physical as soon as possible. Sun sensitivity can have a direct effect on well-being, but the more immediate concern is that the lack of sun can have, perhaps, even more difficult symptoms psychologically.

I’d encourage you to explain what is happening to a physician and he or she will be able to help determine what may be causing your reaction.

Fear of the Sun?