Home » Ask the Therapist » My Cousin Can Only Rely on Me

My Cousin Can Only Rely on Me

Hi, so last holiday I went to visit my cousin in countryside for a week and there she told me about all her problem. She told me that her parents are often fighting and both are abusive. Her mom seems to cheat on her father. She told me that her mom even told her to prepare for not having a mom. She said she’s depressed and stressed that she harm herself. She showed me her wounds she made and a knife she use. She save all her dried blood on tissue and write the date she harm self on it. She told me she used to passed out in her room without no one knowing and sometimes think about suicide. She said she couldn’t trust anyone else but me. It feels hard to think I’m the only one who can save her and lead her to the right path, moreover I also struggle with self-harm although it’s not as bad as her. (From Thailand)

My Cousin Can Only Rely on Me

A.

¬†Although it is a difficult position for you to be in the fact that your cousin trusts you is a very good thing. I would let her know how much you appreciate her trust in you, and how much she means to you. I would then let her know that you are concerned about her medically. That you will go with her to see a physician. This may be the easiest way for her to get some of the help she needs. A physician will see the marks and know that she will need some help. Show him or her your marks as well. You are a good cousin and helping her — and you — get some medical attention is the first place to start.

My Cousin Can Only Rely on Me