Home » DBT Has Not Worked for Me

DBT Has Not Worked for Me

If DBT hasn’t helped like it was supposed to, is it because I have done something wrong or is it just not for me? I have really tried to put all I learned into practice and I don’t find it helpful. I feel like I have failed? Is it possible that it doesn’t work for everyone?

DBT Has Not Worked for Me

A.

Not all treatments, even evidence-based ones, work for everyone. I do not know why DBT did not work for you. Many factors are involved in whether or not a treatment works. For instance, how long have you tried it? Maybe the therapist is not implementing the treatment correctly or it might not be the right treatment for you. You feel that it has “failed” but you could be misinterpreting the results.

I could list 10 or 20 more possibilities, but they would all be guesses because I do not have enough information to answer your question.

Discuss this with your therapist. Get their opinion. Maybe there are easy corrections that would help.

Another option is to get a second opinion. You could try a new therapist or another type of treatment. Success in psychotherapy often depends upon the quality of the therapist and their ability to effectively reach their clients. Not all therapists are created equal. Some are better than others.

More exploration is needed to determine what the problem might be. You need to gather more information before determining your next move. A new therapist or a new treatment might be the answer but currently you do not have enough information to know. Start with your therapist, gather more information about the potential problem and then decide your next steps. Good luck.

DBT Has Not Worked for Me