Home » How Do I Change Therapists?

How Do I Change Therapists?

From the U.S.: I’ve been seeing the same therapist two or more times a month for almost two years. She has been a tremendous help to be and I am so thankful for all she has done. But I find that now we are so familiar with one another that our sessions seem to be more about “catching up.” I feel a bit stuck in my therapy. There are other therapists in the office. I would like to try something new but do not want my therapist to feel like I don’t appreciate her. I would like to hear from another therapist about how they think I should proceed. Thank you.

How Do I Change Therapists?

A.

Before switching therapists, I hope you will speak honestly to your current therapist about your concern. It isn’t unusual for therapy to get “stuck” now and then. Express your appreciation. Then tell her that you feel that you are experiencing diminishing returns in the sessions.

There are many possible reasons for what you are experiencing: It may be that it is time to take a break and practice what you have learned in treatment. It may be that you are both avoiding going to another level for some reason. It may be that your therapist thinks you aren’t ready for the next level. Obviously, I don’t know the answer. But I do know that it’s important to talk about it rather than just switch. Often such discussions lead to a new and important level of treatment.

How Do I Change Therapists?