Home » Ask the Therapist » Parenting » I Really Want to Be Kidnapped & Want to Know about ‘Theverything’ Issue

I Really Want to Be Kidnapped & Want to Know about ‘Theverything’ Issue

I want to be kidnapped. I don’t think this is normal thing to want. I would like to know if this is a sign of a mental issue, or if I’m crazy or any information you might have about my information.

A.

You are correct. It is not normal to want to be kidnapped. It may indicate that you are feeling especially neglected or unloved by your caregivers. It would suggest that something might be wrong, but I don’t have enough information to know what it could be.

People who desire to be harmed often have emotional problems. They are suffering. It could be that they are depressed or don’t feel like they are loved or cared about by others. Wanting to be kidnapped is akin to wanting to go to prison. The underlying desire is to ensure that others pay attention and show you that they care. People who feel loved don’t have a desire for bad things to happen to them. People who don’t feel loved might be willing to do desperate things in order to feel that they are loved.

You also mentioned wanting to know about “theeverything issue.” That is not something with which I am familiar. If you would like to write back and provide more information I may be able to help.

I would highly recommend consulting a mental health professional, in person. You didn’t mention your family situation in your question, but you might want to start by asking for their assistance in consulting a professional. If that’s not an option, then ask a trusted family friend or a school official for help.

Psychological problems are amenable to treatment. Don’t wait to seek help. The longer you wait, the more you may suffer. Certainly, suffering should be avoided. Mental health treatment is the easiest way to fix this problem. Please take care.