Home » Why Is this Woman Insisting that My Daughter Call Her ‘Mom’?

Why Is this Woman Insisting that My Daughter Call Her ‘Mom’?

From the U.S.: My daughter is 27 and lives with her best friend. I moved about 5 hours away from her 2 years ago. I found out from another friend, that my daughter is now calling her best friend’s Mother “Mom”. My daughter and I have a good relationship. This woman has never put her own children first. She also undermined my parenting of my own child when my daughter was a teenager. Is there a reason that this woman would promote my own daughter calling her “mom”?

A.

I don’t think you need to feel threatened by this. You have a good relationship with your daughter. She may be complying with the woman’s request just because she is living like a daughter even if she isn’t really part of that family.

I have no idea why the woman wants the title since she apparently didn’t like the responsibilities that go with it. But it really doesn’t matter. If you are anxious about it, I suggest you calmly just ask your daughter for an explanation.