Home » Social Anxiety

Social Anxiety

Asked by on with 1 answer:

Because of the way I grew up I developed maladaptive social skills. People don’t understand the way I act like I do and distrust me. It has gotten to the point that people have become hostile. Should I get a psychologist to help get me through this?

Social Anxiety

Answered by on -


When you recognize that a problem exists, it is wise to seek help for it. Therapists undergo specific training to fix the very types of problems that you have described. They will know how to help you. Consulting an expert will be an efficient way to solve this problem.

You did not offer any examples of what you meant by maladaptive social skills. Examples would’ve helped me to better understand this problem.

You should start by meeting with a therapist and acquiring an objective opinion. Once you have identified the problem, then you can work to find a solution.

If the problem is what you think it is, try social skills training or other targeted therapies that integrate the development of adaptive interaction styles. Choose a therapist who specializes in these types of specialized therapies. You might try asking your primary care physician for a referral. You might also utilize the “Find Help” tab at the top of this page to locate a therapist in your community. Please take care.

Dr. Kristina Randle

Social Anxiety

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW is a licensed psychotherapist and Assistant Professor of Social Work and Forensics with extensive experience in the field of mental health. She works in private practice with adults, adolescents and families. Kristina has worked in a large array of settings including community mental health, college counseling and university research centers.

APA Reference
Randle, K. (2018). Social Anxiety. Psych Central. Retrieved on March 24, 2019, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.