Home » Need Advice for a Difficult Decision

Need Advice for a Difficult Decision

Hi, I am a 16 years old teenager and I think I’m keeping myself from succeeding. I have two options for my future : art school (which is what I really want) or engineering school . Drawing is my passion and people say I’m really good at it but I keep telling myself that I’m not good enough to the point that I’m too scared to draw now. I keep telling myself that I’m terrible and that I’ll never make it as an artist which is why I think of going to engineering school. That would make most of my surroundings happy and I could do it if I completely gave up drawing to work on it. I know my parents would like that better because they keep yelling at me to quit drawing so I can do homework. I’m just not confident enough to go to art school, but I will be miserable if i give it up. What should I do?? (From France)

Need Advice for a Difficult Decision

A.

Everything I know about success involves passion and perseverance, something we call “grit”. I will recommend you and your parents read Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Angela Duckworth on the topic — and for you to follow your passion. You can make adjustments as you go. I’d also talk to a guidance counselor at your high school to get some feedback about improving your confidence, making a plan, and a decision.

Need Advice for a Difficult Decision