Home » Ask the Therapist » Verbal Abuse

Verbal Abuse

So I don’t believe that it is ok for him to cuss at me about anything but especially about small stuff like filling in a whole in the garden or not taking out the recycling.  I mean these are just some mild examples of when he goes off on me for no reason.

He also recently decided that he does not want to have children and there is not amount of convincing that I can do to change that. I would 100% have not married him knowing he did not want children and he we are almost 4 years into our marriage and he is telling me this.

I just don’t know what to do. (From the USA)

Verbal Abuse

A.

If you wouldn’t have married him, then why would you stay with him? I would encourage you to explain that you want to go to a couple’s counselor to talk about your disappointment in his inability to control his verbal abuse and his declaration that he doesn’t want to have children. If he doesn’t want to work on the relationship and your feelings about his behavior and disappointments to you, then you have your answer about how he thinks about your needs. Then it is time for you to reconsider the value of the marriage. The find help tab at the top of the page should help you locate a therapist in your area.

Verbal Abuse