Home » Ask the Therapist » I Imagine Things and Forget They’re Not Real

I Imagine Things and Forget They’re Not Real

I’ve recently begun getting very emotional towards things that I make up myself, for example, I cried in history class after I imagined that a family member died, and didn’t even realize that it wasn’t true until I asked myself. At the beginning of this year, I even convinced myself that I had PCOS, and believed I was diagnosed by a doctor. After being by myself on a walk with no distractions, and thinking about my mindset, I began to be very confused about what was actually the truth, sort of like a childhood memory that you’re not completely sure was a real-life event, or just a dream. Because I told a few close friends that I had PCOS before this realization, I’ve become really embarrassed, and worried for my future if I ever do want to have kids. These types of lies I create for myself happen a few times a month, and I’m just curious as to what it is, and how I can figure out how to stop them from happening. (From the USA)

A.

¬†You are very brave to be asking for some help with this. I can appreciate how unsettling it is to create these scenarios — and to not know where they are coming from.

Your examples are about bad things happening to you or your loved ones. There is something about feeling victimized and then expressing (either in your tears in class or telling your friends) that is important to you. The question may be why you would want others to know about the pain you have created. Three are several possibilities for this, and there is too little information here to figure what might be causing it.

I recommend you tell your parents that you would like to see a therapist. Talking about this in person with someone will help you sort it though more directly. If your parents are not open to bringing you for some therapy, I would let the school counselor know that you are having these troubling thoughts. He or she will be able to help.