Home » Parenting » Parents Don’t Understand My Mental Illness

Parents Don’t Understand My Mental Illness

From a teen in the U.S.: Whenever I tell my parents about my issues and me feeling suicidal, they threaten to hit me and tell me to suck it up. I have no therapist anymore due to an insurance problem. I was supposed to get a psychiatrist also but my parents refused to help me get professional help. The ironic thing is my parents both have mental illness. I love them a lot but lately they are making me more and more miserable. Please help, I don’t know how to get them to help me I really want help.

A.

Thank you for writing. I understand that it is frustrating not to have your parents’ support. It may be that their own mental illness makes it hard to accept that their daughter is also struggling. Fortunately, you don’t need their help to get the help you need. At 18, you are a legal adult.

Are you sure about the insurance issues? If both parents are disabled, they may have some kind of disability insurance that covers you as well. But if not, the good news is that you live in a city that has a free clinic for people age 18 and older. See the website for the Rhode Island Free Clinic at http://www.rifreeclinic.org/.