Home » Ask the Therapist » How Do I Stop Lying?

How Do I Stop Lying?

I’m 12 and have been caught lying many times. I want to stop, but I don’t know how. My mom is on the verge of disowning me. I cry everyday, and try to stop but it just comes out. I feel as if I have to lie because I’m scared of the outcome. I have tried communicating this problem with my parents but they refuse to understand. I have attempted suicide, because I am sick of life. Please, please help before I either kill myself, or my mom disowns me.

How Do I Stop Lying?

A.

Maybe you lie because you’re frightened of your mother disowning you. This might be one of those times when lying makes sense. It may be your defense against unfair treatment.

Have you tried writing your parents a letter and explaining how you feel? If not, try it. Often these types of problems are the result of miscommunication or misunderstandings. Your parents might have no idea how you feel. Explain it to them. Help them see it from your perspective. Don’t assume they know how you feel.

You should include in your letter that you have attempted suicide and that you are thinking about killing yourself. This will give them insight into your mindset. If you tell them the truth, they should be able to help.

If you can’t speak to your parents, then go to the school guidance counselor or another trusted adult. They can help you.

If those are not options and you are contemplating suicide, then contact the authorities. Call 911. They will come to your home and protect you from harming yourself. They will also connect you with mental health professionals.

Another option is to call the national suicide prevention lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. They also have an online chat system if you don’t feel comfortable calling. Do an internet search for “suicide prevention lifeline” to chat with them online. They are available 24 hours a day.

I do not have enough information to understand what has led to this situation, but I do know you can be helped. There is no reason to think otherwise. Many young people are fearful about telling the truth and asking for help. But there’s no need to be afraid. Mental health professionals can help but it starts with you opening up to them. Please don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Good luck and please take care.

How Do I Stop Lying?