Home » Ask the Therapist » I Can’t Seem to Control My Actions Sometimes

I Can’t Seem to Control My Actions Sometimes

I have a problem with doing the wrong thing. I can see myself but I can’t stop myself. I can only describe it as being in the passenger seat of a car, but I’m also driving. I can see myself driving recklessly, I’m screaming at myself to stop but the driver ignores all my pleading. It has ruined jobs, friendships, and worst of all my relationship with the woman I love. I drink heavily and that makes it worse. I’m  working on my alcoholism , but what do I  do about not being able to control of my actions sometimes? (From the USA)

A.

I admire your desire and persistence in trying to deal with these issues. The alcoholism is often tied into problems with anger and impulse control. Rather than see you trying to control your actions as a separate concern, work on the most central issue — your drinking — which will help I you with everything else. I’d begin by going daily to meetings for Alcoholics Anonymous.