Home » Depression » Mood Swings Anxiety & Depression with Paranoia Sometimes & Mild Hallucinations

Mood Swings Anxiety & Depression with Paranoia Sometimes & Mild Hallucinations

My girlfriend is paranoid about stuff sometimes (eg. Thinking people are looking at her when we’re in public, likes locks on her doors, makes her Facebook private or deactivates when she sleeps) she is pretty socially withdrawn and will sometimes get into moods where she seems emotionally aloof or depressed (she talks to people on the internet often though) but other times gets into moods to do stuff outside she’s weird about what she wears (only wears black and white cause other colors bother her if she wears them) has a distorted sense of what she looks like often hates how she looks, is pretty impulsive and will randomly want to cut her hair and dye it a different color if she’s stressed. She has social anxiety doesn’t really like to be in public, sometimes will be sensitive to light or smell she says she gets mild hallucinations sometimes (hears mumbling sometimes or her name being called, sometimes sees things in objects or sees a shape for a bit) she was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder and prescribed antipsychotics which she doesn’t wanna take cause the side effects she also has a benign tumor in her frontal lobe. My friend says she’s been like this since he’s known her. my anxiety is making me think of worst case scenarios

A.

I’m not certain of your exact question, so I can only provide a general response to the set of facts you have provided.

You recognize that your anxiety might be clouding your judgment. Your girlfriend was evaluated by a mental health professional and that should be reassuring to you. It’s possible that she has something more severe than the diagnosis she received, but it’s unlikely because she was seen by a professional and we must have at least some confidence in their opinion. However, having said that, getting a second or even a third opinion is very common. But at some point we have to rely on the experts in their field or we have to conclude that we are more of an expert than they are. Often that is just because we don’t like their diagnosis. We may not like it but it doesn’t mean that they are wrong.

Her symptoms are not well controlled perhaps because she is not taking her prescribed medications. That, of course, is worrisome. She should be following her doctor’s orders. You might suggest that she ask her treating professionals about trying a different medication that has fewer side effects. You might also suggest counseling. Counseling is a highly effective treatment for many of the symptoms that you have described.

Generally speaking, you can make suggestions about what your girlfriend should do but whether or not she follows them is her decision. Worrying about it does not help her or you and in fact, only makes you feel worse. Do what you can and recognize that you have very limited power in this situation. You can’t control other people.

You might consider consulting a mental health professional to help you address your own anxiety problems. Anxiety and stress are psychological vacuums that suck the joy out of life. They should not be your emotional norm.

If you would like to right back and ask a more specific question, I will try to provide a more directed answer. Thanks for your question. Please take care.