Home » Ask the Therapist » Hearing a Voice and Feeling Depersonalization and Derealization

Hearing a Voice and Feeling Depersonalization and Derealization

As far back as I can remember I’ve always heard a voice, I can remember being maybe 3 or 4 years old and having her with me. She sounds just like me but isn’t, she bosses me around all the time telling me what to do what to wear telling me when to go to bed, saying things when we’re in public like. “They don’t like you, they’re probably laughing at you.” They probably think you’re weird.’ I remember being 5 years old in kindergarten and her telling me to raise my hand and what to ask the teacher. I’ve told my therapist about this and I’ve told counselors at my school I even told my mother when I was little, all of them brush it off saying “that’s just your inner voice.” Or they misinterpret what I mean, most of the time when you hear voices its outside of your head or it comes on later on in life. But mines has always been there since I was little. I’ve been thinking that maybe my mother had a miscarriage and I had a twin sister and maybe I absorb her soul and now we’re part of each other and sharing the same bodies. I haven’t told anyone this I know they’ll say “stop acting crazy” Or that’s ridiculous. Sometimes I do things and don’t remember them, I don’t know if this is DID I didn’t have a bad childhood or anything, I asked my mother and she says I don’t have another personality that I need to stop. I told my therapist and she keeps saying so you hear “voices.” I keep telling her no I don’t hear “voices” I hear myself but there’s two different versions there’s me and there’s her she sounds just like but isn’t me. And no one seems to understand this. I’ve had dr and dp since I was young too most people get that later on. I’m scared and I don’t know what’s wrong.

A.

Thank you for writing us about this. It must be very difficult to have something going on an no one listening. I think the key to understanding the voice is hidden in the experience where you do things and do not remember them. Whatever is causing you not to recall is likely to be responsible for causing you feeling separate from the voice.

I would encourage you to have a neuro-psychological exam. This type of testing can usually pinpoint what is going on and make recommendations for treatment.