Home » My Son Is Not at All Normal

My Son Is Not at All Normal

From the U.S.: Hey. I’m a single mother of a 16-year-old boy. I’m a teacher. I know whats normal behavior for a teenage. I’ve seen him talking to a blank space, getting so angry and trying to hurt me. As a child he tried to drown his best friend. I read his journal (I know but I’m just concerned) He has in it fantasies about murder, rape, torture. And he expressed an extreme fear of being humiliated, and that he is. I warned his school. But he just keeps getting angrier.

He is sweet and friendly to everyone and nobody can imagine whats going on inside his head. But I’ve seen him laughing loudly and stabbing a blank space. when his father died, he told me this exact sentence “Exactly what I wished for” and he laughed. But he was acting so sad at the funeral. I thought I hallucinated!

But I know something is wrong. He writes things like he can completely see them. He looks emotionless, cold, empty. I’ve taken him to some psychiatrists but he just keeps manipulating them easily. I talked to his girlfriend, she said many people are in love with him and he hurts them. emotionally and physically.

My Son Is Not at All Normal

A.

I’m terribly sorry that you are in this situation. It’s a parent’s nightmare to see a child they love headed for trouble and to feel so helpless to change it.

I do share your concern. If he has been able to fool several psychiatrists, it will be difficult to get your son into treatment. However, I do encourage you to take him to your local crisis team for an evaluation if he talks to a “blank space” and to call the police if he ever tries to hurt you again.

There is something you can do: Go for therapy yourself. Develop a relationship with a therapist who specializes in adolescent behavior and who can be both a sounding board and a resource for you. You need and deserve the support of having someone hear what you are dealing with on a regular basis. It may also be that on learning details, an experienced therapist will be able to give you some guidance about how to get help for your son.

My Son Is Not at All Normal