Home » Ask the Therapist » Dating with a Coworker and Intimacy Problem

Dating with a Coworker and Intimacy Problem

I’ve decided to date my coworker despite my rules because I was really into him from the first day I started working at our company. At the end of our first date we kissed and for the second date he invited me to his flat. (which I thought it’s too early — correct me if I’m wrong please) after making out a bit he encouraged me to have sex but I said I am a virgin. so, he accepted—yet, he was playing around in bed with me. I wasn’t that much comfortable with him, naked in bed. also, he wasn’t a cuddling type. and wanted to make love wildly and rough which made me nervous cause it was my first time getting naked with a boy in bed. I didn’t say anything though but I knew I am not satisfied. Another thing is that he was in a committed relationship for 5 years and I’m worried of it’s consequences cause after all he has obviously more experience in sex life or better say emotional life than me, which this affects our relationship. Another thing is that I think he seems like a bit abusive but I can’t prove this because when I said I’m virgin he totally agreed not having sex. yet, I feel like I have intimacy problems with him cause he can’t satisfy me completely emotionally and I really don’t know how to bring up this important issue—while I’m too shy still with him and can’t open up easily about emotional stuff between us. another thing which is blowing my mind is that, does he really like me—or its just for getting laid, making out and … I do like him. he is funny, in great shape, so active… but when it came to emotions I didn’t get what I expected. I thought when I told him this is my first time he would defiantly do it more gently. not this way—that now I think with myself it’s better not meeting up with him in his flat. (From Iran)

A.

Thank you for taking the time to ask these questions about your relationship. There are three things you have said that I’d like to feedback. First, you have said that he was not physically respectful of your body — that he was not more gentle. Secondly, you say he has not been emotionally fulfilling. Finally, you are wondering if he is only in the relationship for the sex.

These three elements all point to having chosen a man who does not sound like he has the readiness for intimacy. I think the real question for you is what type of a relationship do you really want — and is intimacy what you were looking for? The best way to determine this is to understand more about how you feel after meeting up with him in his flat. If you feel there is something there that can become more intimate, then the two of you must work on it together. If, afterwards, you don’t feel good about yourself, then it is time to move on.