Home » Ask the Therapist » Parenting » Trouble Communicating with My Parents

Trouble Communicating with My Parents

Asked by on with 1 answer:

From a teen in the U.S.: Okay so I’m am having trouble connecting with my parents it is at the point were any physical contact or answering any questions about my life makes me anxious and uncomfortable. It’s getting to the point we’re my parents are starting to get frustrated about it I have been called a “robot”, “unemotional”,and “cold” on multiple occasions and I don’t know what to do to stop being so impervious. This all started after repeatedly seeing my parents being violent and drinking excessively on multiple occasions.

Also regarding the violence and drinking I have had trouble sleeping and get freaked out by any screaming or yelling. One time recently I was in a class were people were having a very heated debate (yelling across the room) and I had a flash back to something I saw.

I honestly just want to try find a way to minimize these responses or any guidance on what I should do to move forwards from this.

Trouble Communicating with My Parents

Answered by on -


 I can’t make a diagnosis on the basis of a short letter, of course. But if you were seeing me, I would want to know more about the environment you have been living in. It’s possible that the drinking and violence have had a greater effect on you than you realize. It makes sense to me that you distance yourself from a situation and people you find so distressing. That doesn’t mean that it is the healthiest approach to your situation; just that it’s an understandable reaction.

I hope you will consider talking to the guidance counselor at school if you have one. If the school doesn’t have someone on staff who talks to kids about their problems (instead of just about scheduling and homework issues), ask for names of therapists in your town who specialize in working with teens. Often there are free programs for adolescents. A therapist will help you get to the root of your distress and will give you encouragement and support along the way.

In the meantime, if you need to talk to someone about your problems — at any time — you can call the Boys Town Hotline. Don’t be put off by the name. Counselors there talk to girls, too. They are available 24/7 for kids like you. You can also chat online. It’s all free and confidential. Here’s the website: The phone number is 1-800-449-3000.

I wish you well.
Dr. Marie

Trouble Communicating with My Parents

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp:

Dr. Marie Hartwell-Walker

Dr. Marie is licensed as both a psychologist and marriage and family counselor. She specializes in couples and family therapy and parent education. Follow her on Facebook or Twitter.

APA Reference
Hartwell-Walker, D. (2018). Trouble Communicating with My Parents. Psych Central. Retrieved on October 1, 2020, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018 (Originally: 15 Apr 2017)
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.